Saturday, August 22, 2009
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
“I have come to know that some people form Bani Hasim and others were forced to
accompany the pagans, although they had no desire to fight us. Therefore, whoever
meets any of them, do not kill him. Whoever meets Al-Abbas bin Abdul-Muttalib,
let him not kill him, for he was forced to come (with the pagan army)”
Abu Hudhayfah bin Utbah said, “Shall we kill our father, children, brothers and tribesmen (from
Quraysh), and leave Al-Abbas? By Allah, If I meet him, I will kill him with the sword”.
When this reached the Messenger of Allah (SAWS), he said to Umar bin Al-Khattab,
“O Abu Hafs” and Umar said, “By Allah that was the first time that the Messenger of Allah(SAWS) had called me Abu Hafs”.
“Will the face of the Messenger of Allah's uncle be struck with the sword?”
Umar said, “O Allah's Messenger! Give me the permission to cut off the neck (meaning Abu Hudhayfah) for he has fallen into hypocrisy, by Allah”.
Ever since that Abu Hudhayfah used to say, “By Allah! I do not feel safe from the statement coming back to haunt me, and I will continue to fear its repercussions, unless Allah, the Exalted, forgives me for it through martrydom.” Abu Hudhayfah was martyred during the battle of Al-Yamamah, may Allah be pleased with him.*
Ibn Abbas said, “On the eve after Badr, the Messenger of Allah (SAWS) spent the first part of the night awake, while the prisoners were bound. His companions said to him, 'O Allah's Messenger, why do you not sleep?' Al-Abbas had been captured by a man from Al-Ansar, and the Messenger of Allah (SAWS) said to them,
“I heard cries of pain from my uncle Al-Abbas, because of his shackles, so untie him”
When his uncle stopped crying from the pain, Allah's Messenger (SAWS) went to sleep”.**
In his Sahih, Al-Bukhari recorded a hadith from Musa bin Uqnah who said that Ibn Shihab said that Anas Bin Malik said that some men from Al-Ansar said to the Messenger of Allah (SAWS), “O Allah's Messenger! Give us permission and we will set free our maternal cousin Al-Abbas without taking ransom from him.” He replied,
“No, by Allah! Do not leave any Dirham of it.”***
And from Yunus bikkir, from Muhammad bin Ishaq, from Yazid bin Ruwman, from Urwah, from Az-Zubri that several people said to him, “The Quraysh send to the Messenger of Allah (SAWS) concerning ransoming their prisoners. And each tribe paid what was required for their prisoners. Al-Abbas said, 'O Messenger of Allah! I became a Muslim before.' The Messenger of Allah said,
“Allah knows if you are Muslim, If what you are claiming is true, then Allah will
compensate you. As for your outward appearance, it was against us. Therefore, ransom yourself, as well as, your nephews Nawfal bin Al-Harith bin Abdul Muttalib and Aqil bin Abu Talib bin Abdul Muttalib, and also your ally Utbah bin Amr, from Bani Al-harith bin Fihr.”
Al-Abbas said, 'I do not have that (money) O Allah's Messenger!', The Messenger (SAWS) said,
“What about the wealth that you and Umm Al-Fadl buried, and you said to her,
'If I am killed in this battle, then this money that I buried is for my children Al-Fadl,
Abdullah and Quthm'?”
Al-Abbas said, “By Allah, O Allah's Messenger! I know that you are Allah's Messenger, for this is a thing that none except Umm Al-Fadl and I knew. However, O Allah's Messenger! Could you count towards my ransom the twenty Uwqiyah (pertaining to weight) that you took from me (in the battle) ?”
The Messenger of Allah said, “No, for that was the money that Allah made as war spoils for us
So Al-Abbas ransomed himself, his two nephews and and ally.
*At-Tabaqat, by Ibn Sa'ad 4:10. This Hadith is not authentic.
**At-Tabaqat, by Ibn Sa'ad 4:13. There are two chains for this Hadith, one is unauthentic, the other is authentic, but there is no mentions of a companion in it, so it is Mursal.
***Fath Al-Bari 7:373.
PESHAWAR: Taliban commander Maulvi Faqeer Mohammad from Bajaur has claimed taking up the position of Baitullah Mehsud temporarily, the BBC reported. He has also announced the appointment of Muslim Khan as the Tehrik-i-Taliban’s chief spokesperson.
Maulvi Faqeer spoke to the BBC over the telephone from an undisclosed location. He strongly denied reports regarding the death of Baitullah Mehsud.
He said Baitullah Mehsud has not died, adding that Baitullah is ill and for that reason he is underground. However, Maulvi Faqeer said ‘even if Baitullah Mehsud is martyred, it will not affect the Taliban movement’.
Regarding continuous questions over Baitullah’s death, he said there is no conclusive evidence that can prove his death. He said it was because of Baitullah’s illness that he had been made the acting chief of the group and after Maulvi Omar’s arrest, Muslim Khan is now the group’s chief spokesperson.
He said there has been no congregation regarding the election of a new chief and reports to that effect have no truth in them.
Responding to a question, he said ‘Maulvi Waliur Rehman or Hakimullah Mehsud have no authority to appoint a new chief without consulting the Taliban in various areas and neither can the Waziristan Taliban make such decisions.’
‘The congregation of Taliban leaders has 32 members and no important decision can be taken without their consultation,’ Maulvi Faqeer was quoted by the BBC as saying.
He said although the Waziristan Taliban ‘have given a lot to the movement and Waliur Rehman and Hakimullah Mehsud are capable of carrying out leadership responsibilities, however, a decision like this will only be taken through consultation and consensus.’
He said Maulvi Omar has resigned from his position of chief spokesperson before his arrest. He had resigned because due to the deteriorating telecommunication facilities it was difficult to get in touch with the media.
Maulvi Faqeer said he would also talk to the Taliban leaders for changing the group’s name fromTehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan to Tehrik-i-Ittehad Taliban as according to him the whole world had its eyes on the movement.
Separately, the Tehrik-i-Taliban has alleged that the authorities have forced Maulvi Omar to say that Baitullah Mehsud died during a US drone strike.
The Taliban commander in Mohmand agency, Omar Khalid, told BBC that Maulvi Omar was forced into saying that Baitullah had died. Therefore, Maulvi Omar’s so-called admission has no meaning, he said.Omar Khalid reiterated Maulvi Faqeer’s stance that Baitullah Mehsud is alive.
By Pazir Gul Wednesday, 19 Aug, 2009
MIRAMSHAH: A militant on suicide mission rammed a vehicle packed with explosives into a checkpost on the Bannu-Miramshah road in North Waziristan on Tuesday evening, killing four security personnel and wounding eight others.
The bomber struck the Esha checkpost located not far from Miramshah. It was manned by army and paramilitary personnel. An official said an army soldier and three paramilitary personnel were killed.
Regular troops were deployed at checkposts in the area after militants intensified attacks on security forces. No group claimed responsibility for the attack till late in the evening.
Taliban killed four tribesmen for ‘spying’
By Abdul Sami Paracha, Wednesday, 19 Aug, 2009 |
KOHAT: Four tribesmen were killed by militants of the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan in Upper Orakzai on Tuesday for ‘spying’ for security agencies.
Sources told Dawn that the bodies of the tribesmen were found in the agency’s Anjani area with a note warning that any person cooperating with the government against the TTP would meet the same fate.
In another incident, the Haidri Taliban claimed to have killed a man whose body was found in Lakhti Banda in Hangu district. The man was accused of running a brothel.
According to police, a note found with the body of Arbab Ali of Ganjiano Kalay threatened members of his family that if they did not stop the un-Islamic business they would also be killed.
Meanwhile, two tribesmen were killed and four others injured in a clash in Storikhel between associates of Hakeemullah Mehsud, the Taliban commander for Orakzai, Kurram and Khyber agencies, and tribesmen.
Sources said the tribesmen had started confronting the Taliban after hearing about the death of Baitullah Mehsud.
Tribal elders have complained that the government is not helping them with arms and ammunition to fight the militants who are heavily armed and have huge resources.
It may be mentioned that tribesmen had formed militias to take on TTP men but suspended their activities after a suicide attack on a jirga last year in which 136 elders were killed and 50 injured.
In another development, tribesmen blew up the under-construction headquarters of Hakeemullah Mehsud after a clash with militants in Anjani area of Orakzai.
Official sources said that two militants, one from South Waziristan and the other from Swat, were killed. The tribesmen captured a militant who had been injured.Source
Monday, August 17, 2009
Suicide truck bomb kills at least 20 in RussiaBy SHAMSUDIN BOKOV, August 17, 2009
NAZRAN, Russia – A police station in with an explosives-laden truck Monday, killing at least 20 people and wounding at least 60 others, officials said.attacked a
The bombing was the deadliest in years in the restive southern region, denting Kremlin claims that the area was stabilizing after two wars in Chechnya and mounting violence in surrounding provinces since 1994. While most fighting in Chechnya has ended, Islamic militants continue to mount regular hit-and-run attacks and skirmishes in neighboring provinces.
The attacker on Monday rammed the truck through the gates of the Nazran city police headquarters, in Ingushetia province, and detonated about 200 kilograms (440 pounds) of explosives as police officers were lining up for a morning check, said Svetlana Gorbakova of the regional branch of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Prosecutor General's office.
Police had fired shots at the truck, but failed to stop it. The blast triggered a raging fire that destroyed a weapons room where ammunition detonated.
It took rescue teams several hours to search for victims in the ruins. A nearby apartment building and several office buildings were also damaged, and burned-out cars littered the street. The attacker and the truck were pulverized by the blast, Gorbakova said.
At least 20 people were killed and 60 wounded, she said, though official figures on the number of wounded varied. Ruslan Koloyev, the acting head of the Emergency Ministry's branch in Ingushetia, said on Rossiya television that 92 people were injured.
Russia's Emergency Ministry sent a special plane to bring some of the wounded to Moscow for treatment.
An Associated Press reporter saw 11 badly burned bodies at a morgue in Nazran, the largest city in Ingushetia, which borders Chechnya to the west.
Local authorities announced a three-day mourning.
Ingushetia's Kremlin-appointed president, badly wounded in another suicide bombing in June, said Monday's attack had been organized by militants trying to avenge recent security sweeps in the forests along the mountainous border with Chechnya.
"It was an attempt to destabilize the situation and sow panic," Yunus-Bek Yevkurov said in a statement issued through his spokesman.
He blamed Chechen separatist warlordfor the June attack on his convoy, saying the perpetrators had been be tracked down, according to an interview with Russian News Service radio. He vowed to hunt down Umarov and other rebel warlords.
He also accused the United States, Britain and Israel of fomenting instability in the North Caucasus, saying "the West will try to prevent Russia from restoring its Soviet-era might." He did not elaborating.
Rights groups said arbitrary arrests, torture and killings by security forces had helped swell the ranks of rebels in Ingushetia under Yevkurov's predecessor,.
Yevkurov, a former officer of the Russian GRU military intelligence service, has promised to end abuses and sought to negotiate pardons for some rebels who would agree to put down their weapons.
MIRAMSHAH: One soldier was killed and two others were injured when militants attacked a military convoy in Derga Mandi area in the restive North Waziristan tribal region on Saturday.
According to sources, the convoy was on its way to Miramshah from the border town of Ghulam Khan. They said the assailants used machine guns and rockets in the attack.
Soon afterwards the security forces launched a counter-attack and targeted nearby houses.
Residents said four people, including two children, received bullet injuries.
Muhammad Irfan Mughal adds from Tank
Supporters of Baitullah Mehsud and those of Turkistan Bhittani clashed in the Gomal Bazaar area on Saturday, leaving four people dead.
According to local people, Baitullah’s supporters attacked the office of pro-government militant commander Turkistan Bhittani, killing one man and wounding two others.
The Bhittani group killed three attackers. The group also claimed seizing four wounded assailants. However, the claim could not be confirmed.
Baitullah’s supporters had attacked their rival’s offices in the area a few days ago and kidnapped several people.
Meanwhile, four unidentified bodies were found in the Kariwam area of Frontier Region of Jandola on Saturday, local officials said.